GMDSS ships are required to carry the following minimum equipment:
- A VHF radio installation capable of transmitting DSC on channel 70, and radiotelephony on channels 16, 13 and 6.
- One SART if under 500 GRT, 2 SARTs if over 500 GRT.
- Two portable VHF transceivers for use in survival craft if under 500 GRT, three if over 500 GRT. ( of the approved type with lithium batteries )
- A NAVTEX receiver, if the ship is engaged on voyages in any area where a NAVTEX service is provided. ( approved type )
- An Inmarsat C EGC receiver, if the ship is engaged on voyages within Inmarsat coverage Areas ,and by NAVTEX or HF NBDP at Areas not covered by Inmarsat A4 (see note 2).
- A 406 MHz or 1.6 GHz EPIRB